University Prefreshman Engineering Program
The University Prefreshman Engineering Program (UPREP) was established in 2006 as an optional continuation for students that have successfully completed three years of the mathematics-based, summer program the Prefreshman Engineering Program (PREP).
UPREP exposes and prepares high school students to an actual college experience. Students become accustomed to the college environment and it helps them feel less intimidated as a college freshman. UPREP offers university credit during the five and ten week summer terms at UTSA. Additionally, students participate in student development workshops, volunteer opportunities, internships, and university research projects.
UPREP offers university credit during the five (5) and ten (10) week summer terms at UTSA in the following courses:
- Biosciences I
- General Chemistry I
- Algebra-Scientists & Engineers
- Calculus I
- Foundations of Analysis
- Introduction to Computer Programming I
- Algebra-Based Physics
Additionally, students participate in student development workshops, volunteer opportunities, internships and university research projects.
What are the eligibility requirements?
High school students from all school districts within the Greater San Antonio Area are encouraged to apply.
- Students must have already completed three (3) years of PREP and currently be a sophomore (10th) or junior (11th).
- Students in 10th and 11th grade require an 85 or better average in current mathematics, science and English class.
- High school report card verifying the grade requirement stated above
- Official high school transcript
- Record of bacterial meningitis vaccine immunization – received vaccination within the last five years
- Completed Paper-based State of Texas Common Application (provided by the UPREP office)
When are applications accepted?
Applications for UPREP 2017 will be available after November 1, 2016. Deadline to apply is December 31st, 2016.