2017 UT System LSAMP Summer Research Academy
I am pleased to announce that the application for the 2017 UT System LSAMP Summer Research Academy is now available! Students selected for this special summer experience will be provided the opportunity to work on an appropriate research project with a faculty mentor from one of the institutions in the University of Texas System. Since the primary objective of this program is to encourage a transition to graduate school via research experiences, it is preferable that participating students be sophomores, juniors or seniors with a proven record in their major. Students from groups traditionally underrepresented in STEM are especially encouraged to apply. If you know a qualified student who would be interested in participating in this special opportunity, please share this information with them.
UT System Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
Summer Research Academy (SRA)
Funded by the National Science Foundation
Students selected for the LSAMP Summer Research Academy will participate in an intensive research experience, working alongside nationally- and internationally-recognized professors. Students will conduct supervised research, meet graduate students in the program of their choice, attend research group or lab meetings, and participate in special meetings designed to help with future plans for graduate school. Opportunities will be provided for visiting with other scholars and learning about the graduate school application process through videoconferencing. Students will also be invited to participate, all expenses paid, in the annual UT System Student Research Conference in September 2017.
Students selected for participation at a UT System school other than UTEP will be awarded:
1) A summer stipend (up to $4,000)
2) Funds to travel to the respective institution (up to $500) and
3) On-campus housing for a visit of approximately 10 weeks.
4) UTSA students who are selected for participation on our campus will not qualify for the housing and travel allowances, but will receive a summer stipend of $4,000 along with a supply allowance.
In addition, the faculty mentor at the host institution will receive monetary support ($500- 1,000) for supplies.
All applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Full-time status majoring in a STEM (i.e. Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) field
- Completion of 30 semester credit hours at the time of application. No students graduating in May 2017 or August 2017 are eligible.
- A minimum 2.8 G.P.A. on a 4.0 scale
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
Students should visit the UT System LSAMP web page at: http://lsamp.utep.edu. Applications for the SRA must be submitted on-line and the application deadline is February 15, 2017. On-line recommendation forms are due no later than Wednesday, February 22, 2017.
Please contact me directly if you have any questions or need more information. Thank you and I look forward to your students applying!
All the best this semester,
Darrell C. Balderrama, MPA
Director, Retention Programs
The University of Texas at San Antonio
Institute for P-20 Initiatives
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249-0603